counter
Visits


Home      Haden     Kent     Alphonso     Sabre     VanDyke     Sensation     TommyAtkins     Heart     Irwin     Kesington     Kitovu     Keitt
  Carabao        Golek        Arumanis        Zillate        Zill        Smith        Nimrod        Maya        Mathias        Madoe        Chino        Club        Kizulu        Gallery
INTRODUCTION
Kenya is a tropical country in East Africa bordered to the west by Uganda, to the south by Tanzania, to the east by Somalia, to the north by Ethiopia and Sudan and to the southeast by the Indian Ocean
with a coastline of about 400 km. The total area is 589 900 km2 of which 98 % is land surface and the remaining is 2% inland water bodies. Climate and soils Read More

The mango research was sponsored by Kenya Agricultural Productivity and Agribusiness Projects. There are more than 70 varieties of mangoes that exist within the counties under study Read More

BACKGROUND
Kenya has a huge potential for commercial mango growing. All 47 counties have some mangoes being grown under rainfed systems, irrigation or along the seasonal streams and riverine areas.
Mangoes are drought-tolerant and can withstand occasional flooding whilst good rainfall distribution rather than total amount is a prerequisite for flowering and fruit set (Nakasone and Paull, 1998). Read More

                                                                                                                                      MANGO VARIETIES
   
  Batawi

Read More
Ngowe

Read More
Sabine

Read More
  Boribo

Read More
Parwin

Read More
Apple

Read More
  Dodo

Read More
Peach

Read More
Gesine

Read More
   
  Pests and Diseases

Mango fruit fly

Mealybugs
 
Mango aphid

Powdery mildew

Anthracnose
Mango survey

Mbeere
 
Kilifi
 
Makueni

Mango varieties in Embu and Makueni by District
Ochard and Postharvest Management

Cultural practices

Postharvest treatment

Chemical control

Challenges to Mango planting
Mango Improvement and Challenges


Mango planting


Mango Improvement Strategy

Contacts
                                                                          By: Dr. Phanuel Oballa and Rachel Kariuki                                                                                           © 2019 KEFRI/KALRO Mango Research